Sunday, September 9, 2007

Up the Mast Ye Hearties!




The closer we get to launching, the longer our "to do" list gets! When we went out for a sail the last few times we got erratic readings from the wind direction/wind speed indicator. So, our first line of investigation was to check the hardware--at the top of the mast! That's 57 feet above the water!! And I use the phrase "our " in the sense that I, being the lightest was hauled up the mast and Jim manned the two lines that hauled me up there! Its reassuring to know that he wants to keep me around--he put one halyard onto the electric winch and another halyard was a backup. He pulled me up about 10 feet with one then tightened the other. When I got to the top I tightened things up, sprayed McLube on the parts but when Jim tested the system there was still a problem. So I guess we'll order a new part and I'll get to do the drill again! The most interesting part of the drill illustrates the "need to know" principal. Since the trip up the mast was a first, we decided to memorialize it on film. Jim tied the lines off so I was securely held by two lines then he got out the relatively new camera. Imagine this (Jim tilting his head back and yelling at me at 57 feet up) ...."which button is the still and which one is the video?....do I push this one (pointing--remember I'm 57 feet away and barely keeping my sanity because I'm scared silly and hanging onto the mast like a monkey) what do I push to zoom in?" Aargh!! We did get some pictures so I'll put them here!

2 comments:

Hayden said...

I remember a very similar exchange between Tim and Melissa when he joined Steph & I to climb up the hill across the street from the desert house. I'm glad Jim was able to figure things out. ;-)

Red Rover said...

You don't look like a crow...